Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Super Donut

     I think I went into 2 weeks of post-vacation depression following Utah. Mountain biking there was so awesome that it made Tennessee feel dull. Shannon and I were both pretty worn out after all the riding and driving so a little rest was in store. The next race on my schedule was the south's most delicious mountain bike race, Dirt, Guts & Donuts.

     I started back riding consistently the week of the race. I planned to not only race DGD on Saturday, but to make it a weekend double by catching the Race to the Canal at Land Between the Lakes on Sunday. It would be a good way to kick off my winter training. I'm planning to take things differently this year. I don't see the point in losing my base with too much rest in the Fall. I'm going to keep my mileage up and include some intensity throughout the winter. It just seems stupid to lose all form every winter. How do you keep building strength and fitness when you give it all away every winter?

     I spent the week getting reacquainted with my hardtail. After a few weeks of jamming on the 6"-travel Remedy, the Sette hardtail felt like riding a child's bike. The bars felt so narrow, I felt like I was going to flip over the front on every downhill. And the ground felt so rough! I rode it at home a few days, then took it out to Rotary Park in Clarksville for a night ride with Keith and Adam.

Night ride at Rotary. Picture taken by Adam.


     I prepared for DGD by trying to clean up my body from all the crap I ate in Utah. I tried to eat good foods this week, and ate a very light dinner on Friday. I still felt heavy on Saturday morning despite my efforts to clean out my gut. I decided to skip breakfast and go out for an early morning run with Shannon. I ran 5K before daybreak and then didn't eat anything until the race. It was a sketchy move that would either deliver me to a massive amount of donuts, or make me weak as a kitten and get me smoked on the trail.

     Keith and I did a warm-up together and then set out or goals for the event. We both were shooting for 15 donuts. I wanted to defend my title of fastest overall from last year. This event is so perfect for me. I can eat like a horse and ride fast. No other event lets me showcase my "talents" better than DGD.

    The event is laid out like this: it's one lap of a 9-mile loop at Lock 4 in Gallatin, TN. Along the loop there are two stops for donuts. Each donut eaten is a 2-minute deduction off your final time. There have been many strategies employed over the past three years, but the best has always been a good combo of riding fast and eating a bunch of donuts. Riding fast and not eating does not work if you want to win.

DGD course map


     I was a little shaky on the start line. And VERY hungry. I knew the first stop was just a mile into the woods. I was hoping the body would hold up long enough for me to get there and then the sugar should carry me to the finish. The Singlespeed class took off first. Keith got a good start and made it to the singletrack in second place. I was aiming to get the hole shot so I could reach the first donut stop first.

My class on the start line


    The start went well. I slipped a gear on the second pedal stroke. It caused me to whack my knee on the stem, but I still managed to get to the first turn in front, then held off the 31 riders in the Under 165 lbs.class to the woods. I felt terrible that first mile. I was weak and felt uncomfortable on my bike. I was so relieved to reach the first donut stand. I got there with a 30 second gap on the rest of the group. I already had one donut down the pipe before second place even got there. My plan was to eat at least 7 at the first stop, then 8 at stop #2. Having an empty stomach really helped me at that first stop. I destroyed 9 donuts quickly and was back on course. Keith's stomach was not so accepting and he was only able to down 4 at the first stop.

Grabbing the hole shot

Keith munching some sugar loops at the first stand

Me eating next to the legend that is Scott McConnell

One of the many disgusting shots that this race produces each year.


     I felt like a champ when I got back on the trail. The sugar had already kicked in. I had a good ride, making few mistakes and started to ride my bike smoothly again. I think I was back to the lead of my class again by the time we reached stop #2. I had caught all those who had only eaten 2 or 3. I knew this was my race to lose. Again, the goal was for 15 donuts. It was easy eating those first 9. The first three at the second stop were also easy, but then the taste began to get to me. I began to taste just dough and grease. Keith was there at the second stop with me and he was pushing me to go for 18. Why he picked 18 I don't know, but the guy was set on me eating that many from the time I first pulled into that stop.

     I got to 15 without too much difficulty. Keith kept pushing me for 18. He was bummed about only getting 4 at the first stop so he said he would match every donut I ate. Peer pressure kept me going. The crowd was behind me and I pushed on to 16. Keith was still hounding me for 18. Shannon was there watching and I think she was totally disgusted with what she was witnessing. There were guys sitting around all over the woods stuffing their faces with donuts. We had glaze all over our hands and faces. It was fun, but gross at the same time.

At donut stop #2


    I was debating on going for 17 when I noticed a guy sitting on the ground next to me. He had a whole kit rolled out and was putting together a syringe. Turns out he was shooting up his insulin to prepare for the sugar rush he was about to get. I thought to myself, "If this guy can risk his life to eat some donuts, then surely I can eat two more." So I pressed on. The last two gave me that pre-puke salivation response that we all remember from having the stomach bug as a kid. It was hard, but I kept them down. I actually think I had room in the belly for two more, but I would've definitely thrown up from the taste if I had taken another bite.

    I was stuffed, but I rode well the last few miles to the finish. I got the win I wanted, both in my class and overall. It's hard to beat someone that lays down a good lap time and then gets 36 minutes deducted for eating 18 donuts. Keith ended up eating 13 donuts. Not bad for such a slow start. He wound up 7th in SS.

Tired and cracked out on sugar after the race

This race gets a glazed thumb up



Dirt, Guts and Donuts Video by Stumbling Towards Greatness


     After the race, Shannon and I took a lap on the course. The trail conditions were too perfect to pass up. Then we stopped by Eastside Cycles in Nashville. I have known the owner, Scott DeShon, for quite a while, but had never been to his shop. I had a gift card from one of last year's cyclocross races. Scott had a great selection in the shop. I used my gift card plus picked up a few other things. There are two shops in Clarksville, but I'm not a fan of either of them. I think Eastside might be my new shop of choice...

     We had Stake Conference for church on Saturday in Hopkinsville. Hop Town is already halfway to LBL, so we drove on up and stayed the night with my parents at their camp on Lake Barkley. I really like camping up there, especially this time of year. It was also helpful to get most of the drive behind us so we wouldn't have to get up so early on Sunday morning. I ate very little the rest of the day and felt pretty restless as I came down off my donut sugar high. My blood sugar level was sure to make for an interesting Race to the Canal tomorrow!

18


No comments:

Post a Comment