Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Melting On Pavement

   It was almost Wednesday when we arrived back from Michigan, so it was time to get ready for another battle at LP Field. July 6 was Race #7 of the Gateway Tire & Service NashvilleCyclist.com Crit. Series in Nashville. I have such a hard time getting to these races on time, but this week I managed to sneak out of work a little early and made it there with time to get in at least a partial warm-up. It was a super hot day with no breeze blowing like the week before. I was glad to see the course was the same for this race. The fast S-turn course is my favorite. It tends to be less conducive to breakaways and has a finish that suits me well. Not to mention that turns 2 and 3 are super fast and fun. They were a bit too fast during the Masters race. Troy Tucker and a Cumberland Transit rider took a hard fall in turn 2, with Troy looking pretty rough afterwards. He had a huge knot on his forehead almost immediately following the crash.

Masters race in progress

Masters come in to the finish


     I got to line up on the front row and I guess the mountain biker in me took over. I just have to try for the hole shot on the start. The bad thing is that my start seems to dictate the rest of my race. When I start aggressively, I tend to stay very aggressive in the race and usually burn myself out before the finish. I'm better off starting slow and then becoming aggressive near the end. I was first to the first turn and led the first lap. The trend continued. I was super aggressive the entire race, but managed to miss the big break. I tried to bridge several times, but just couldn't get into the right move or make it stick by myself. I hate being a marked man, but everyone knows what I'm out there to do so I would expect no less from them.

Pro/1/2/3 riders leaving the start

I grabbed the hole shot tonight





Andy Reardon off the front




A break of 3 begins to form

Race promoter Tim Hall tries to bridge with a Sonic-Treehouse rider in pursuit


Pro/1/2/3 peloton rolls down toward turn 2




The group comes through the chicane


    The break of 5 would finally get away and stay away. At one point I thought there were just 4 riders up the road, but one of the guys had crashed and apparanetly was allowed multiple free laps before rejoining the break. We fought it out in the group, making a lot of moves that went nowhere. I tried to get away, but just didn't have the snap tonight. The legs were still feeling the Marion Crit and the Fort Custer MTB ride. I followed the attacks the final few laps and wound up taking 9th. There was a big crash behind me with half a lap to go and I was glad to have just been ahead of it. That awful sound of metal grinding across pavement followed by the pop of them hitting the curb never gives you a good feeling.


Me trying to bridge the gap to the break

The break rolls through a turn as dusk approaches

The break that stayed away




Sonic-Treehouse came to the front of the peloton with a few laps to go


Barrett Krei makes the winning move down the backstretch on the final lap

No comments:

Post a Comment