Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 Stats


     It's the end of the year, so time to look back on my race season. It was a much busier one than in recent years. I raced 58 times, up from 33 last year. That was even better than in 2011 when I hit 56. It may look busy and long on the calendar, but I don't feel like I raced any more than last year. I enjoyed racing more and really had a good time all year long. I did 34 criteriums, more than my total number of races last season. I also did more mountain bike races this year and I hope to do even more next year. I did not race a single triathlon, but I do intend to change that next year.

     The results were better as well. Last year I had just one win, while I pulled out four this year. All four wins were very unexpected. I did the come-from-behind win at Lock 4 in September, won a pair of 5Ks in November (APSU and Springfield) and finally got that Singlespeed win I have been chasing for so long in early December. That win last year was my only podium, while in 2014 I was on the podium 14 times. You can see all my results for 2014 here.

     There were two black spots on the results this year. First, was two DNFs. I dropped out of the Foothills Road Race early in the season voluntarily after being dropped early in the race. The other DNF was due to a crash at the SERC race at Ocoee when I skinned myself up and broke my seat. That one does not hurt as bad because there is no way I could have safely ridden two more laps with a seat rail poking out at my leg.

     The second black mark to me was that I got pulled 14 times in 2014. That was more than the 10 times I got pulled in 2013. I know I did bigger races in 2014, but I still want to eliminate that number. It has been a goal of mine over the past few years and I don't see much progress in that area. The big Pro/1/2 races are still a bit too much for me to handle right now.



Total Number of Races: 58

Race Breakdown
Criterium: 34
Road Race: 1
Time Trial: 2
XC: 6
Short Track: 1
MTB Endurance Race: 1
Super D: 1
Downhill: 1
Cyclocross: 6
Triathlon: 0
Running Race: 5


Finish Breakdown
Wins: 4
Top 3s: 14
Top 5s: 18
Top 10s: 26
DNFs: 2




     I raced in 10 different states this year, more than ever before. My home state of Tennessee was where I raced most often, but we also did quite a few events in North Carolina and Alabama. I rode my bike in 13 states in 2014.


States Raced In: 10 (6 in 2013)
Tennessee: 27
North Carolina: 7
Alabama: 6
Missouri: 4
South Carolina: 4
Georgia: 3
Ohio: 3
Indiana: 2
Florida: 1
Kentucky: 1




     I rode over 6,600 miles outside this year. My mileage total does not include miles logged on the trainer as I do not have a speed sensor on my bike. The total time, however, does include trainer time. I put in 555 hours on the bike and 11 hours on my feet running. I raced for 918 miles and over 51 hours in 2014. That's a lot of time to focus and hammer!


Estimated 2014 Riding Miles: 6,625 miles
Estimated 2014 Running Miles: 74 miles
Miles Racing: 918

Estimated Time Riding: 555 hours
Estimated Time Running: 11 hours
Time Racing: 51:05



     I want to thank Shannon for all her continued support this year. She keeps me going and has backed every hard decision we made in life and bike racing this year. Also, I want to thank Maxxis and First Endurance for their continued help. They are the only companies that have shown any interest in me and I thank them very much for sticking with me when I wasn't doing quite so well.

     In 2015, I plan to keep pushing hard at criteriums and in mountain biking. I would like to do some Enduro events on the mountain bike and get back to triathlon. You can expect to see me racing a little bit of everything next season. I'd love to get a new bike, but I doubt it will be in our budget. My Titus Racer-X is now eight years old and the Trek Remedy is nine. Even my Redline cross bike is eight years old. But they are all working so I will keep racing them as my legs are much more of a problem than their age. I did recently get some new MTB shoes for next year. I had been racing and riding in the same pair for over four years. They were worn out and uncomfortable, but it was all I had. I'll be rocking a new pair of Pearl Izumi's when the season starts.

       Thanks again for reading and for all the support I get here on the blog. I hope some of my nonsense gets you motivated to go outside and do something fun. Look for a review of the year in pictures soon as we wrap up an awesome 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment