Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Long Way Home

     On Sunday, it was time to come home. We went to church one more time with Gma and Amber, then said our goodbyes. I was not ready to go home just yet and Shannon was ok with me prolonging the return to reality. So, we went the long way home, taking several detours to do some sightseeing.

     Our first detour took us through the rolling desert north of Park City to the town of Kamas. We then took the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway out of Kamas toward Wyoming. It is a road I have wanted to ride since I saw it on the Tour of Utah a few years ago. It's over 76 miles from Kamas to Evanston, WY, with the Byway itself being about 46 miles long. We didn't have time to ride it, nor did my legs want to ride it today after the Snowbird Ultra Hill Climb yesterday, so I had to settle with seeing it all in the truck. The Byway climbs for 28 miles out of Kamas to a crest between Bald Mountain and Murdock Mountain. You then pass by the beautiful Mirror Lake and descend over 40 miles to Evanston. It's mainly gradual grades on both sides of the mountain, but there are several steeper sections near the top with some switchbacks.

Early part of the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway near Kamas


     The Fall colors were bright as we climbed. We stopped at the top next to Bald Mountain to hike around and enjoy the mountain air and beautiful day. There were some great views up there. Mirror Lake was very busy, so we did not stop. We just did a slow drive-by through the campground and then moved on to the less crowded north side of the Byway.

Hiking near Bald Mountain





Nice place to take a break

The top of Bald Mountain



One of several lakes along the Byway


     The Fall colors were even brighter on the north side. The aspens were an amazing yellow. We saw many great views and made several stops for unbelievable views and pictures. This section was the most beautiful part of Utah I have seen yet. Too bad we only got to spend about two hours in it. I'd say you can add camping along the Byway to my list of things to do in future trips out west.





Minions made out of hay rolls near Evanston, WY


     We nearly made another detour in the middle of Wyoming to see Fossil Butte National Monument, but we didn't know anything about it. I was afraid we would get there and have to do a lot of hiking which we could not do with all of our stuff sitting out in the open in the back of the truck. Now I understand the need for truck toppers.

     I was itching to see something else. Also on my list was the Vedauwoo area near Curt Gowdy State Park where we had started our trip after Gateway Cup. Several people had told me to check that out on our next visit, but why wait until then?! We took the dirt road tour through the Vedauwoo rock formations late in the afternoon. It was really cool to see some of the strange rocks. It is so different from the rest of Wyoming you see along I-80. The sunset was unreal, providing us with plenty of colors that changed every 3-4 minutes. We exited the dirt road right at nightfall. There were tons of people set up with cameras along the dirt road, trying to get that perfect shot of the lunar eclipse that was supposed to happen in a few hours. It looked like the clouds would keep us from seeing it, but we made a stop in Cheyenne to eat and actually did get to see the eclipse. It was so much easier to see out here because there are fewer lights compared to at home, and also the air is so much clearer.


One of my most favorite pictures from the whole trip



Twin Peaks in the distance




    We drove through the night with no more detours and no tornadoes or crazy stuff this year. We were home by early afternoon on Monday. Shannon had to go back to work on Wednesday. I was giving her a hard time about it because I had no work scheduled for another week, but then the phone rang. We were still 15 miles from home and I got called to come in to work cookie dough the next day. That's what I get for running my mouth!

Hazy sunrise in Missouri

Got home to see this on the rack. Almost lost a rear swingarm bolt on the Racer-X.


     Our trip was great. There were some points where I did not enjoy it as much as I should have, but I am a perfectionist so sometimes I get a little perturbed when things don't go the way I planned them when it comes to doing rides. But then I remember to loosen up and go with the flow. I just have to think back to July when I cut my knee and then I am grateful that I was even able to go on this trip, let alone ride in so many cool places.

     Just because we were home did not mean I was out of the exploring mood. I got out for a long road ride on Wednesday and visited a few places I ride close to all the time, but never actually go to. I checked out the Cheatham Dam in Ashland City. It has a nasty climb getting out of there that was much easier than I remembered. I think climbing to Hidden Peak changed my perspective on steep climbing.

The Cumberland River just above the Cheatham Dam

Looking up the Cumberland River toward Nashville



Cruising down the shaded road to the dam


Cheatham Lock and Dam

After climbing out from the dam I found one of the few spots in this area where you actually have a view.


     Again, I took the long way home from the Dam, also exploring a side road in the tiny town of Henrietta that ended at an old cemetery. Halloween is less than a month away so it just seemed appropriate. Sometimes there are some cool things to be seen in cemeteries, like artwork and dates. It's amazing to see how old some of the markers are. I've found some from the late 1700s just down the street from where we live. It amazes me to think people were living in this area that long ago. I wonder what it looked like back then as compared to now...


The spiderweb adds a nice Halloween touch to this cemetery cross



The gate is open for thee...





No comments:

Post a Comment