Pages

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Through It All

     I will be honest. I was not at all excited to go back to Soldier Hollow on Sunday for the XC. If I hadn’t paid my entry fee already it would have been awfully tempting to start the trip home early and race the Gowdy Grinder XC race at Curt Gowdy State Park instead. But I worked way too hard to get here and I was going to go give my all even if the race experience was looking like it would be on the disappointing side. It’s been easy to get frustrated lately with sub-par performances at some of my target races, empty promises from sponsors, higher than expected travel costs and trouble with work. I guess it was all getting to me by the time the XC rolled around.

     It was another chilly morning, but not quite as cool as the previous day. We got there just in time to see the Juniors start their race. Simon Lewis was out there so I ran around cheering him on to a 16th place finish. After the race, he told me that he felt much more adjusted to the race-pace today than he did in the STXC and ensured me that I would probably feel much better too. After the way the STXC went, I was expecting to get dropped right from the beginning and never see the group again after the first climb.

Simon Lewis in red battling during the Junior 17-18 XC

They got bottled up on the tree


Simon on the box drop





Simon hops the ditch on the first descent of the loop



Simon on the short climb before the box drop


Starting another lap with the paved climb



The one section where you could get a little flow going


Rock drop

Simon climbing




Simon got to do an interview for a video about the race


Video: Junior XC action


     Pro Women were up next. Again, we had a southerner out on course to cheer for. Kayley Burdine was there and she rode really hard. The elevation got to her, but the girl never quits. After watching the first two races, I was more into race mode and was able to push all my frustrations aside and get down to business. I did another long warm-up to get the lungs as ready as I could for what was sure to be a tough start with a huge climb right off the bat. We were scheduled for seven laps and the 80% rule was again in effect. The course was a measly 2.9 miles long, so 80% would come quick. My goal was to make five laps before getting pulled, but I feared I would be out in just two or three if I felt as limited with the elevation as I did on Saturday.

Kayley Burdine finishing up a lap in the Pro Women's race


     My start spot was a little better for the XC thanks to some ranking points I have accumulated at the SERC and GSC races. I was about three rows from the back of a group of over 50 Pro Men. The start was fast, but not quite as brutal as the STXC. My first goal was just to hold onto the back of the group on the opening climb. I figured I would take it one climb at a time. If I could hold a wheel to the top I could surely get that position on the descent and even get some rest too. I had to dodge a rider with a mechanical as we went through the finish line, but I did manage to stay in the group. Besides the guy with the mechanical, I think I was last through the first turn, but I was on the group and settling in already.

Pro Men on the start line


     There was a crash as we transitioned from pavement to gravel with four or five riders hitting the deck. It was a little ways in front of me. I was able to pick my way through the dust and downed riders on the left side and actually gain some spots. I was then able to hold my position in the line all the way up the first climb. Well, actually I lost some spots right at the top. Things bottled up on the last little hump. I tried to go right and gain some spots by taking to the weeds, but it was sage which does not give at all and it stopped me. I topped the first climb next to last in the main group, but I was there and still right in the thick of the action. I rested down the first descent and starting preparing for climb #2. Flying through the tunnel was so much fun and it put a big smile on my face as I reached the Tech/Feed Zone for the first time.

     The group ahead began to split on the second climb. I did a good job of staying on the wheels. I lost a spot or two, but also gained a spot or two, reaching the top in about the same place as where I started. The hard parts of the course for me were now over and I could let loose the rest of the lap. I made up a couple of spots down the next descent, then crossed a gap to the next group of riders on the short climb up to the box drop. I had no fear of this short climb and hit it sprinting out of the saddle every lap.



Me on lap 1


     I started lap 2 with about four riders and just tried to hang with them up the first climb. I lost a few bike lengths at the top, but I was quickly back to them on the descent. Everybody seemed to be recovering in the Tech/Feed Zone, so I was able to pass the whole group and lead us into the second climb. Two riders passed me back before the top, but I was able to hold onto the wheel of the second one and pass him again on the next descent. This course was actually a lot of fun. There was no flow to be found, but the features that were present were jam-packed into the tight loop. The climbs were short enough you could really hammer, then the descents were short and fast with at least one challenging feature, then it was right into the next climb. Never a dull moment.

Rider pass the cabin on the second climb






Me entering the rock garden

Getting a little air on the way out to clear those last rocks



     The short climb to the box drop was another good launch point for me to bridge to another group of riders. I started lap 3 much like I did on lap 2, just with a different group. I was steadily moving forward and feeling really strong. I held to the back of the group up the first climb and again moved forward on the second climb and following descent. Then I found myself out in between groups for lap 4. A few of the riders that crashed on the start came rolling by in the second half of lap 4. I wasn’t able to stay with them up the climbs, but I kept them close and was near them on the last descent of the lap.







On the way back down


     I kept them in sight on lap 5 and was actually getting close to joining them at the end of the lap. Then we got pulled. I made my goal of five laps, but at that moment I was really hoping to get started on lap 6. The top two riders, Keegan Swenson and Russ Finsterwald, were racing each other hard and really on another level than everyone else. Take them out and maybe I would have made all seven laps. I was happy that the officials left us in to what appeared to be fairly close to the 80% mark and were nice about pulling us. After the race I was able to look up the lap times and saw that we were actually more like 60% behind and if our lap times had held up for two more laps we would not have been caught by the leaders. They may have been running faster laps, but their times were fading, while my laps were all within a five second range.

Swenson and Finsterwald destroyed the rest of the field





Jamie Driscoll. He's a local living in Park City. My road bike actually was his spare bike when he rode for Jamis-Sutter Home.



     I was pretty happy leaving today. That was a good ride for me. I may have finished 38th, but I passed many guys on a course that is a really tough one for me. I had great legs. This actually may have been the best ride I have had in the past year. I definitely left the XC with a much better outlook on mountain bike racing than I did on Saturday. I guess I’ll keep trying this Pro thing as long as I can because I did still love riding and racing my bike. I think everyone at the race now knows this as I had a big smile on my face the entire race. I know they noticed because people started cheering for “the smiling guy.” Thanks for that. It really made my day.


Video: Pro XCs. You can see a bit of the crash just after the start of the Pro Men as we hit the gravel, as well as a guy crash when he doesn't make the gap across the ditch jump on the first descent.


     I am never one to spend much extra money at a race, but I did this time. There were several good photographers on hand that made some really good pictures at a reasonable price. I bought a few which I posted below. You might recognize one of them from the new home page picture. There's a few others that I didn't buy, but not for lack of trying. They suddenly disappeared off the webpage before I could purchase them so all I got was a screenshot. I'm kind of liking them the black kit look.

On one of the open descents

Loved this one of me hopping the horizontal tree and the face I'm making

The descent after the second climb

Another Selective Vision shot I wasn't able to purchase

My favorite shot of the entire weekend, again not available


Box drop by PB Creative Photo


     The weather was absolutely beautiful when we left. We stopped a few times to see some sights in both Utah and Wyoming before dark. We rolled into Laramie as night set in and stopped for food near War Memorial Stadium. Of course I had to cruise over there and check it out. I would love to see the Cowboys play a game there one day. They have a good college football program that is on the rise and I can see them becoming a team to be reckoned with in the near future.

Echo Reservoir in Utah

Echo Reservoir

Snowy peaks at sunset in Wyoming

Elk Mountain from I-80


University of Wyoming's War Memorial Stadium in Laramie, WY


     The drive through the night was rough. It is much more difficult following a race. I didn't have the power the keep my eyelids open after 1 AM. Dina took us until 3 before she started to go down. I made the call to stop for a little nap at a rest area in the middle of Nebraska. After about two hours of napping I was ready to go again. I hate stopping, but it was the smart thing to do. It took us 27 hours to get home.

     We rolled back into the driveway on Monday evening and got things unloaded so I could return the van Tuesday morning. The big trip was over, but we followed it up very quickly with another short one. We had just three days at home before we would be leaving for the first DINO race of the year in Winona Lake, IN. It is a Saturday race, so we have to go on Friday to get in a pre-ride.

     I am so very grateful to have been able to go on this trip. I needed it to see where I stand on the bigger level. I came home with a little bit of confidence because I know I can compete with real Pros even on a non-technical course. I know I can train much better and be stronger than where I am right now so I could see myself really improving in the Pro class. Thanks to all who helped me on this trip! I couldn't have gone if I hadn't had help from every single one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment