Pages

Friday, December 1, 2017

Sail!

     July continued with one more race before the national championships. I originally planned to skip the fourth round of the DINO Series as you are allowed to drop two races. It came just five days before Nationals began for me. After the staleness I felt at Helen, I felt I needed one more race to get me ready. I needed it for confidence as much as anything.

     This DINO race was another new venue for us. This time we were in southeast Indiana just outside the town of Versailles at Versailles State Park. Versailles is pronounced "ver-say-elles" in case you were wondering. The park required a two-night minimum for camping so we were forced to look elsewhere for a place to stay. Leaving on Friday was not an option with work, plus we had a neighborhood yard sale to attend on Friday and Saturday morning. Our neighborhood decided to have multiple yard sales on the same day to attract more people. Yard sales are already huge around here so we had no difficulty drawing in the people. We didn't have much to sell, but wanted to sit out there with our farm veggies and see what happened. Our house is hidden at the back of our street, so we set up at my parents' house which is the first house on the street. We were both surprised and very pleased at how many people were interested in our produce. Shannon stepped up our offerings by adding canned pickles made from our cucumbers and also some muffins. We sold more during these two days of yard sale than all of last year. Shannon's pickles were quite the hit and have taken off even more since. Staying for the yard sale cost us a chance to pre-ride, but it was well worth it for what we made and for the exposure our little farm got. We got really good feedback on how good our veggies taste and how they look. Several people said we had the most beautiful, perfect peppers they had ever seen. I think my favorite part of the yard sale was watching the three 10-year-old girls that live a few houses up from us. They would sell something at their yard sale, then bring the money down to ours and buy veggies for each other. They are the only people I have ever seen sit around a snack on whole, raw squash.

Pickles in the making

Our yard sale set-up

Our veggie table at the yard sale

Peppers, squash, okra and cucumbers finally ready

Hot jalapenos, habaneros and sweet yellow pear tomatoes along with green onions and some chocolate muffins. We had a bit of everything and sold a bit of everything.


     We hit the road after lunch and made it to North Vernon, IN where we camped for the night at Muscatatuck Park, a place where we did a DINO Series race last year. The park was the perfect spot to stop for the night. It was just 45 minutes from Versailles, allowed a one-night stay, had available campsites and had trails where we could ride. We had just enough time to set up our tents and get in a lap on the trail system before dark. There is a dirt track speedway just down the road so we were treated to the growling sounds of cars racing on the dirt as we cooked dinner and got ready for bed. I hope next time we come up this way we have a little more time and can make it over to the track to actually watch the racing. It was a good thing we were camping this week. Dina always has to drive her truck on camping weekend so we have room for three bikes and camping gear. We couldn't have driven anyway as we still don't have a bike rack after ours got hit last weekend at Helen and the wheel tray was broken off. We have ordered a new tray from Thule and are waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully, it will be here before we leave for West Virginia.

Camping at Muscatatuck park


On the Muscatatuck trails

These two waiting on me because I was either trying to jump something or taking a picture of something


     Dina and I packed up the tents early Sunday morning while Shannon cooked us up a good breakfast. Then it was on the road headed further east to Versailles State Park. This would be the third race of the four DINOs so far this year where we wouldn't be able to pre-ride. I got out for a partial lap on the shorter Beginner course before the race and I found a trail that was rocky in places with several technical sections of roots, rocks and tight turns with awkward exits. It looked like a good course for me.

     Race distance today was three laps on a 10-mile loop. There were almost no passing areas to be found on the sections I rode, which included the first two miles and the final two miles. The start would definitely be important. I was feeling good in my warm-up and excited by what I saw, so I planned to not just try for a good start, but go for the hole shot and set a super high pace right from the start to hopefully bust things up in the opening technical sections.

     We had 11 riders in the Elite class today so it was a packed start line. I got there early to make sure I was on the front row. The start was long across a grass field, followed by a left turn onto the pavement and then slightly uphill on the road before crossing a ditch to the right and into the singletrack. I got a good push off the line, but pulled my foot out of the pedal on the third pedal stroke. Fortunately, I didn’t go over the handlebars as that is easy to do when you are sprinting that hard. I was able to sit down and get the bike straight again, but that dropped me to last in the group. I was only able to pick up two spots along the road and crossing the ditch, so I entered the woods in ninth. It wasn’t how I wanted the start to go, but I stayed patient and was able to get another spot back on the first climb when Lee Hauber had a scary crash where he clipped a pedal while trying to make a pass along a narrow portion of trail that had a big drop to the left side. He got catapulted into the air and over the side of the trail, landing on his back way down the hill. He was ok, but I would say that significantly effected the rest of his race. Then my rival for the series, Chris Bowman, cut a tire and was done for the day. I was up to seventh after two miles without making any effort to pass.

Big Expert group on the pavement on the start. Apparently, cones and flags are just suggestions at a DINO Series race.

Next group heads across the opening stretch of grass just after the start




     Another rider had a mechanical halfway through the first lap that helped me move up to sixth. I was able to bridge to the front five in the middle portion of the loop, which was the part I didn’t get to pre-ride. It was a fast, flowy trail with one big climb coming with about three miles to go. I had really liked the part I pre-rode, but I think the section I didn’t see before the race suited me even more. Versailles was just a great trail for me. I was getting my "sail" on for sure. At the end of the first lap I knew that I had to get the win today. This place was too good for me to not come out of here with maximum points.

     I tried to go for fifth in the one open section before the end of the loop, but the rider ran me off into the bushes. Riders in this series will race you to the death for every position. They can be a bit aggressive at times. It got me fired up and made me want to go on the attack, but there was nowhere to pass so I had to calm back down and get back to being patient and smooth.

     The group began to split as we started lap 2. The first climb int he lap was a bit tough and it caused some gaps to open. Craig Baker was falling back and was nice enough to let me pass at the top of the climb. I slowly closed the gap to the front four, trying to save as much as I could for the third lap. They seemed to bit a little stronger than me on the climbs, but I was also holding back because I knew I could close down a gap in the flowy middle section, which I did. Five of us were together until about two miles to go in lap two. On rider fell on a bridge and that created some chaotic chasing which ultimately led to a mechanical for one rider, followed by another blowing up. I was prepared for the exchanging of elbows again in the passing section, but I was already into third and beyond that rider by the time we got there. I still took advantage of the opportunity though and went for the lead up the hill in the grass. The two ahead of me seemed to be sleeping and didn’t put up a fight at all. I was feeling good so I ripped the last singletrack section and hit the climb with only Jason Kors on my wheel.

James Rasmussen


     Kors hung on my wheel up the first climb, but then I accelerated over the top into the flowier sections that included a lot of rocks. I got a small gap and then really buried myself for the next three miles to get out of sight. My quads started trying to cramp almost immediately upon me attacking, but I knew from past cramping experiences this season that I can still go for a while before the cramps get bad. I was hoping to keep building on my lead all the way to the back section where I was so fast, then I could afford to back off a little and still hold my gap.

     My hamstrings and hip flexors joined the cramping party on the next climb. My legs were strong, but they were spasming like crazy when I reached my favorite section. I settled in and tried to conserve what little bit of leg I had left. I actually think my settled pace was still faster than everyone else. I went from 30 seconds ahead starting the section to at least one minute ahead when I hit the main climb at three miles to go. You get a long view from the top of the climb and I didn’t see anyone coming.

     Once I crested that climb and my legs were still able to do circles, I knew I had this one. I had heavy traffic in the final two miles, but I tried to be patient with them since I knew I had a good lead. But some of them just wouldn’t let me pass. Again, most of the Sport-level riders want to stop to let you pass. Nobody wants to stop with two miles left in a race. All you have to do is give me a foot and I’ll go by. I ended up having to chance it with a few passes to get me onto the last stretch along the river. I made the passes and thought I was good to go for the rest of the way, but suddenly I was flying over the bars. I guess I hit something with my pedal and it vaulted me over bars and I sailed down the bank towards the river. I never saw anything to hit, but there was something big lurking on the edge of the trail. I landed hard on my right side way off the trail. My bike went flying, but I was somehow able to grab the back wheel and remain attached to it. I don’t think I ever stopped. I went from sliding on my back to running back up the slope with my bike dragging behind me. As I got back to the trail, another rider hit the same object and went flying over the bars just like I did. I didn’t see what he hit either, but there was definitely something there.

     I jumped back on with a lot of adrenaline as I did not want to give up this win! I couldn’t get my foot clipped in on the left side, which is the side I hit the object with. The rock or whatever I hit crushed the clips on the pedal and it was useless. So I just put the ball of my foot on the pedal and hammered the last mile to the finish. Thankfully, I didn’t have to sprint anyone as my bars weren’t straight and my brake levers and shifter were way off my normal setting. I was able to limp in with a sore hip and shoulder. If I had messed around any I would have been caught as Kors and Tomasz Golas came sprinting in for second only nine seconds behind me. That just goes to show you that it is never over and you have to be on your toes all the way to the finish line. Tomasz pipped Kors for second. You can see their close sprint int he video posted below.

I was excited to get the win at Versailles!


     I was super happy to get the win today, especially considering the wild finish. Despite the cramping, I rode very strong, maybe the best I have ridden all season which is good to see after how much I struggled last week. I think my form is coming on right when I need it with nationals coming in just a few days. I think the cramps today were more from dehydration than fatigue since I haven't had as much water as I should this week. I think I’m as ready as I can with the training I've been able to do. I just wish I wasn't all banged up going into a short week before the biggest events of the year. 

     I hate it for Chris that he had a mechanical, but at least we get to drop two races for the series so he is not completely out yet. I took full advantage of his bad day though and came out with maximum points. I just need one more finish ahead of him now to sew up the series title. I had a lot of people tell me before the race that my Epic was not a good bike for this course. Most felt more suspension was better and I saw a lot of  bikes 120mm of travel or more on the start line. The Epic was actually perfect for this course. It has the stiffness to tackle the climbs and, when set up right, is plush enough to soak up the technical features this course throws at you. 

     Dina had a good day too, finishing in fourth place overall for Sport Women and third in 19-39 class.  She netted some more valuable points as well. She is leading the series for her Sport 19-39 age group without drop races and is really riding well. This trail was a good place for us as some of the sections felt like our home trail where having skills really pays off.

Shaking hands on the way to the podium

Got that Indiana State Pie that I missed at Brown County. The pies are a cool addition to the podium prizes. And yes it tasted good.

Dina on box three today


Video: DINO action from Race #4 in Versailles


     After the race we explored some of the park, checking out the dam and a covered bridge. Indiana is full of covered bridges and we have been able to see some really cool ones so far this year.

Spillway on Laugherty Creek

These stairs to the top of the dam seemed really big when going up on cramping legs

From the top

The lake along Laugherty Creek

Busching Covered Bridge

From the other side




     Next up on the agenda is the USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championships in Snowshoe, WV. It’ll be my first trip to nationals since 2008 and I am super excited to get to go. More on that experience in the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment