Pages

Friday, December 4, 2020

Punch in the Gut

      March of 2019 didn't start off quite as well as the two previous months. I was logging some good miles now, getting in more than 20 hours of training per week for six out of the past eight weeks since I got back to training. I was gearing up for a possible return to racing at the end of the first week of March at Montgomery Bell. Before the middle of the first week of the month had arrived, I got hit with a stomach bug. Not great for training, or feeling decent in general, but great for weight loss. I took a few days off and then found myself feeling pretty weak for several days after, putting my race in jeopardy.

     The race went out the window for sure when we got the news that Shannon's grandfather in Michigan was not doing well. He passed away shortly thereafter  and we were on our way north for his funeral in South Haven. They had his funeral on Saturday afternoon so we were not back in town yet for Sunday morning's race at the Bell. You always hate to attend a funeral because a loved one is now gone, but it was nice to see the whole family. People came in from all over the country, many of whom I had never met before. A few of them were a lot more interested in my bike and farm life that most people find weird and boring. It was nice to actually have some conversations where the people I was talking to weren't telling me that everything I do in my life is a waste of time. I also played chafeur running over to Kalamazoo to pick up Amber from the airport. We were treated to a nice spring day by Michigan standards, which was good for everyone to get out to the graveside portion of the service. I didn't really know that much about grandpa other than he really like John Deere tractors and used to run a dairy farm. He didn't say too much in the days since I joined the family. I probably only heard him say a max of 10 words in the eight years I knew him. He seemed like a good guy and the whole family sure did love him.

This picture taken at the funeral service included almost the entire Toney family.


     The time in Michigan was a good break for me. My lips were finally healed from my crash last month, and I was getting my strength back after the stomach bug. My streak of three hour rides on days I didn't work was snapped by the sickness and trip, but I started a new streak as soon as we got back home. 

     A few days after the funeral, Shannon and I had our taxes done. We have always done our own taxes, but my Mom wanted us to see her tax lady thinking maybe she could catch any breaks we may be missing. It turned into a big punch in the gut. Our physical therapy employer had withheld the wrong amount of money this year, like Shannon and I each had a dependent. I also owed more money than I realized for income I get from the fundraiser job. We are considered independent contractors so we have to take out our own taxes. We came up over $1200 short on taxes, then got charged another chunk in penalties for interest. I think it is ridiculous that the government charges you for interest they could have accumulated with your money when you pay by their due date, but if they owe you money through a tex refund there is no chance of you getting any interest, even if it takes them months to pay you. It literally felt like being punched in the stomach when I heard what we had to pay. All that hard work I did last year to get extra race money was now gone. So I busted my butt working three jobs, got out of shape, gave up what I loved and had absolutely nothing to show for it in the end. We were now in nearly the exact financial position as this time last year.

     I moped for a few days after writing that check, but then I got back to work. I knew I wasn't going to start my season when I wanted to and likely not going to be doing any of the Pro XCT races I had been saving for, but I was at least going to get myself into good enough shape to race. I kept working on losing weight and working on the endurance base. I know I talk about daffodils a lot, but that is literally all there is to look at around here in February and most of March if you want to see any color other than brown or grey. They were in full bloom now, with huge patches of them appearing on many of our local road routes. Dina and I strung together a loop just shy of 60 miles in length that passed by the biggest patches in our area. We called it the Tour of the Daffodils and hit it several times in the middle of the month. It was nice to see some green starting to show up in the bland landscape. Spring is close!

A patch of daffodils along our Tour of the Daffodils loop


     I had to work in Portland, TN one day unloading cookie dough and candles for one of our school fundraisers. I took my bike and rode back home which was only about 54 miles, but about half of it was on roads I had never been on before. I found some really fun roads that I will be back to visit again. I ended up going through the area where Shannon and I had our honeymoon rides when we got married back in 2011. Getting out and exploring a new area is what bikes are all about. New sights are good for the soul.

Scenery along my ride home from Portland


     The month came to an end with some more backyard cross races. I didn't have the money to race Chickasaw, so I did what I could to simulate racing here at home. I was still a bit off my weight goal anyway so I still had more work to do for sure. Spring was starting to show itself with plants sprouting all over our property and along the trail. The time to unveil the pastey white legs is near.

     More adventures from April coming in the next post.


Virginia Bluebells

Bloodroot

Early Spring tulip

No comments:

Post a Comment