Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Qualified

    The hard work is finally starting to pay off this season. Lock 4 not only gave me my first win of the year, but also got me qualified for the XTERRA USA Championships in Ogden, UT in September. I'm already registered and ready to go!

     I've changed up my training a bit to improve my endurance. The sickness in March ruined my base and I haven't had a chance to get the miles back up. The past 2 weeks I have knocked out 20+ hour weeks. I love getting out on the bike that much. I really do enjoy riding. It was crazy hot for the first week, but last week cooled down with some rain rolling through middle Tennessee and relieving our drought conditions. I got in a century one day after work which was cool. You rarely get enough time after working to knock out 100 miles. I spent a day or two in the rain, but overall the weather has really cooperated for me. I enjoyed the rain. It's been very dry here so it was nice see rain falling and also get cooled down during the ride. I'm starting my third big week now to finish off my block of endurance riding. Then it will be time to really crack down on the running and swimming to get ready for Utah.

Cumberland River on an early morning ride


Hanging out with Keith, Misty and Ben following a Tuesday night group ride in Sango


     During last week's big training week, I also got to play around on the mountain bike at Marty Pierce's house. He has a few ramps that I have ridden before. I rode my dirt jump bike and also his BMX bike. I loved the BMX. It was so light compared to my mountain bike. The lightness made it very easy to pitch around on the quarter pipe. His son, Trevor, also rode with us and played on his skateboard. The kid is pretty good to be so young. He led us in a game of follow the leader before the night was out.


Video: Riding BMX with Marty and Trevor


    I'm enjoying the Tour de France right now. It's been more exciting compared to recent years, at least from my point of view. We don't have cable/satellite at home, so I either watch the race at work or on British Eurosport online. The X Games were good this year too. ESPN made them available on demand which meant I could watch them at night after my rides. It always cool to see the progression of all the sports. One of my friends, Mike Brown, was there racing the Enduro X. He's a Pro motocross rider and venturing into the Endurocross scene. We have raced on the same team at the 12 Hours of the Hill of Truth in Oak Ridge, TN a few times. Mike's a cool dude and I was happy to see him not only make it to the final, but win the gold! Go Mike Brown!

Mike Brown in action at X Games


   I have two more triathlons ahead. This weekend is the Music City Triathlon in Nashville. I don't expect a whole lot from this one. I'm just not that excited about doing a road tri. The only reason I signed up was for the swim training. It's a 1 mile swim, which is just a tad longer than the 1500 meter swim we will face at XTERRA Nationals. I'm also going to be coming off another week of long hours. The following weekend I will get one more chance to brush up on my XTERRA skills at XTERRA Panther Creek in Morristown, TN. I will rest up for this one and hammer the whole thing for training. More to come afterwards...

Peppers from our garden

No comments:

Post a Comment