Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Poke

     I finished my block of long, endurance rides this past week. The temp has cranked back up, which made for some hot, draining rides in the sun. It seems like I rode a different bike each day. I started the week on my singlespeed cross bike, then moved on to the race road bike. I did the local group ride on Thursday with the race bike. It turned out to be a bit more than I had bargained for. It was super hot most of the ride, then a thunderstorm snuck up on me the last hour. I ended my ride with a time trial that got even more interesting when my shifter cable decided to break about 8 miles from home. The cable had frayed badly under the bar tape and a fragment jutted through the hood covers, poking me a little in my palm. That left me riding a singlespeed yet again and staying in my drops to avoid getting stabbed. I did beat the storm home by a few minutes though.

Cable poking through


     I was not willing to back off my week at all to rest for the Music City Triathlon. It was not a priority so I was training through it. Shannon and I went out for 36 miles on Saturday morning. It was her longest ever ride. We were blessed with a cloudy, cool morning as we rode out to Adams, TN. We picked the wrong day to ride to Adams. The town of about 100 people was hosting a festival called the Thresherman Show, which brought in several thousand people. The show is for antique farm equipment including old tractors and horse-drawn buggies. They also have a tractor pull and mule pull. We were riding in the traffic of everybody heading into town. Most were pulling tractors behind big trucks. Others were riding in horse-drawn buggies. It was cool to see, but a little chaotic at the same time. More than once I thought we might die.

Shannon cruising through a tunnel

Going up a small, wooded climb near Adams


     I felt great after we got home so I went back out and logged in some more time to end my day with over 4 hours of riding. We then did yardwork in the hot sun most of the afternoon. I tried my best to stay hydrated, but it was nearly impossible in the heat. We worked hard all evening, going to pick up a new freezer and installing it in the house. That was easier said than done. I had to take off the front door to get the thing to fit inside. I am pumped to have more room for berries! I also had to put on my aero bars, fix my shifter cable and change out tires. Needless to say, I was very fatigued by the end of the evening. We didn't have much time for dinner and ended up eating ice cream. What an awesome pre-race meal.

    As usual for a triathlon, it was an early morning, departing the house well before sunrise. We had some construction traffic to negotiate, but made it to the race in plenty of time. I brought two bikes so I could get in a warm-up after the transition area closed. Sprint racers always start first at Music City, followed by Olympic distance. They also seed everyone based on expected swim time. So, with me being Olympic distance and not exactly a fast swimmer, I was going to be waiting a while before my chance to start.

     Registration took longer than expected. They red-flagged my registration because of my new USAT license. I don't know what the big deal was. I've already raced on it twice. I had to go through three different registration lines before finally getting my numbers and packet. I had to hurry a little to get my stuff into transition in time. The transition area closed 30 minutes prior to the start, so everything had to be in place early. They announced that the swim would be shortened from 1500 meters to 1000 meters due to excessive river current from recent rain. I was a little disappointed as my main motivation for this race was to get in a long swim at race speed.

      After getting things set in transition, it was back to the car to change. It was already hot standing in an open parking lot letting the sun bake you. We could hear the announcer at the river and I actually thought they were already starting people. I didn't think I had time to warm up on the bike. I honestly didn't even feel like getting it out. I was hot and tired already. I just wanted to get in the water and cool off. We hurried down to the river to find out that the first swimmer hadn't even gone off yet. I could've gone back and got the bike out, but I decided to save my energy and just relax for the next hour. I was worried about being able to make the full distance. Last year I had a hard time with the run and I was well-rested.

Racers lined up on the dock awaiting the start of the swim

Swimmers heading upstream from the dock in the Cumberland River


    Finally, it was my time to get in line. The line slowly worked down onto the dock. The dock is a hectic time to me. I like to get my face wet before I put on my goggles just to help them seal a little better. I always put on my swim cap over my goggles so that there is less chance of them getting kicked off my head should I run into some feet. I splashed my face, got the goggles set and put on the swim cap just as we were told to slide off the dock into the water. The past two years the water was deep by the dock, but this year it was only about 3 ft deep. It was a sudden jolt when I hit my feet on the bottom, which was made of sharp, cragly rocks. I got stabbed in my right foot, just in front of my heel. It felt like a piece of wire poking me rather than a sharp rock. My first thought was of infection from the river water or tetanus from the wire. I only had about 10 seconds to worry about that before it was time to start.

Me in the middle on the dock

About to reach the starter and get the race underway

Swimming away from the dock for 1000 meters of fun


     The swim began against the current. I hit it as hard as I could, pretending the first buoy was the finish line. I wanted to use my strength to pass the weaker swimmers while we were pushing against the current. If I overdid it, I could always coast back with the current. My foot burned like fire the first 5 minutes and then began to ache. It was annoying, but I don't think it slowed me much. I passed quite a few people in the first half of the swim. The toughest part of the swim was the last 100 meters where we crossed the current back to the dock. The current was pushing people downstream way past the exit point. I made sure to look up often and keep myself pointed as straight as possible toward the ladder on the dock. The guy ahead of me was slow getting up the ladder so I gave him a helpful shove in the butt. I got out of the water with a swim time of 20:38. I was seeded 295th based on my expected swim time, but my time was 164th fastest. I definitely had some proof to go with my argument than I should've been seeded a tad higher.


Looking down on the swimmers from the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge

Racers head from the river toward the transition area

It was a painful run from the river for me after cutting my foot


     There was a lot of traffic on my run up from the river to the transition area. All the people were walking! I was trying to run without touching my heel on the concrete because it was still smarting from the cut. I had to run through the grass to pass a pack of walkers and that got the foot to hurting even more. It was killing me by the time I reached the transition area. I got a quick glance of the wound as I slid on my socks. It was a nice round little hole at the edge of my heel and arch. It looked like somebody stabbed me with a pencil. There was some swelling around it and it was bleeding slightly. I jammed on my socks and struggled to run out of transition. I was gritting my teeth and limping, but I managed to keep running and moving fast in a big line of riders exiting transition.

Changing into my bike gear in transition


The right foot was not feeling good at this moment



    Putting my shoes on while they were attached to the pedals was tougher than I remembered. I haven't practiced it in a while and it showed. I got the tongue of the shoe all smashed up around my toes and couldn't get it out. I gave up after a a few tugs. It was only 24 miles. Comfort shmumfort. My foot ached for the first few minutes, making me wonder how it was going to handle the run, but then all of a sudden it stopped hurting. I settled into the best rhythm I have ever had during a time trial. Sometimes it's just nice to not care what your time is. I concentrated on riders ahead and picked them off a few at a time on the out-and-back course. We were to do 2 laps of the 20km course. It's mostly uphill on the way out, then downhill coming back. There was a headwind coming back that took away from the fun of the downhill.

Bike course heading out of Nashville on Ellington Parkway



Me passing by LP Field to begin lap 2 on the bike



     They had to add a few turns in the early part of the loop due to construction. I took full advantage of my cornering skills on both laps and ripped the turns at full speed like a crit. I was cruising on the second lap. I found a good cadence on the climb and was able to stay in my aero bars until the very top. My legs were tired from all the training recently, but they were strong. I finished in 1:06:22 with a 22.9 mph average speed. That was 24 seconds faster than I did it last year. Not bad for riding with tired legs! I went faster and did it with much less effort. I was 16th quickest out of 355 on the bike. I love coming into the transition area a seeing all the bike racks around my area empty. That's when you know you passed a lot of people.




LP Field in the background on the bike course




Rider comes into transition at the end of the bike segment

These two almost piled up just ahead of me during dismount from the bike

Me coming into transition following the bike

It crowded and dangerous going in and out of transition



Video of the bike segment


     I was still a little worried about my foot when I came back into the transition area. 10K is a long way to run with pain. Like I said, the pain had stopped while I was on the bike and I'm happy to say that it never returned. I had a little heel soreness when running, but it was nothing to worry about.

Run course mapped from my Garmin 305


     The run was hot. Most of the roads are in the sun as you wind through the streets of downtown Nashville. We do two laps of 5km each. Each lap contains three climbs that are tough. The first comes over the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge, starting almost immediately after exiting the transition area. I felt good starting off, but the hill hurt! I got settled in on the descent off the Pedestrian Bridge. The course then takes you around to First Ave, which begins flat next to the river, then turns up steeply. This climb is the hardest part of the course for me. It's steep and all in the sun. And the pavement was chewed up from the construction. I had a hard time on this climb, but recovered well on the descent down 2nd Ave. The final climb comes up Third Ave. This one is more gradual and was easier for me to hold my pace on. Then it's downhill and flat around the back of LP Field to the finish area.

Running up the Shelby Street Pedestrian Bridge


     I felt good after lap 1 and could tell I was not going to bonk like last year. My first 5k loop was just over 25 minutes. I was hoping to hold that for another lap and get close to 50 minutes for my run time. I was very smooth and settled on lap 2, but the first two hills beat me down. I ran well up Third Ave. and finished strong, but I dropped 3 minutes, ending with a total time of 54:19. That was 13 minutes better than last year and left me 161st best on the run for the day. Overall, I ended up 80th out of 355 with a total time of 2:26:12. That landed me 11th out of 29 in the 25-29 age group.



Nearing the end of lap 1 on the run

Still smiling at the end of lap 2

Turning up the speed as I near the final turn and finish line


    I am VERY pleased with my performance. I was tired and very unprepared beforehand, yet had my best road triathlon ever. I was not even that tired afterwards. I visited the medic immediately after crossing the finish line and had them clean out my wound. It looked much better than it did after the swim. Most of the redness and swelling were gone. And it had stopped bleeding. Shannon and I went out for a spin later in the evening to loosen up my legs and clear out some of the lactic acid. It was a great way to end my big block of training.

      This week is a rest week. I've been healing up my foot and giving the legs some much-needed rest. And it has been a good time to catch up on things around the house. We lost a lot of our flowers around the house with the drought, but the garden is growing well now that it has rained a few times. I have been tossing around the idea of making a riding video for some time. Now that I have the GoPro and a few new accessories, I'm putting the plan into action. The first segment is in progress and I should have it finished soon. I can't wait to finally finish one and share with everyone.

Got an extra battery for the GoPro so we can film for longer

New LCD screen with battery indicator so we can play back the video and make sure the shot was good

Joby Gorillapod Tripod with GoPro Mount

The Gorillapod can attach onto anything...including the skinny metal hook atop a flower pot.

The morning glories are finally taking over the stump in the backyard


    Thanks for reading! Next race for us is this weekend in Morristown, TN for XTERRA Panther Creek. It'll be my last off-road tune-up before Nationals.

No comments:

Post a Comment