Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 4 At the Gateway Cup: Turn and Sprint Into the Wind

     The final day of racing at the Gateway Cup in St. Louis was yet another beautiful day. It was a windy Labor Day Monday, but the sun was shining brightly. The town we stayed in, Pontoon Beach, IL, has a vast network of greenway paths that connects across the Mississippi River into the huge network of paths that St. Louis has. There are well over 100 miles of paved paths around the St. Louis, Granite City and Pontoon Beach areas. We brought Shannon's road bike, hoping we could get in a ride together at some point. One of the parking areas for the greenway was just 2 miles from our hotel so we picked up the greenway there and headed toward St. Louis.




    It was a nice ride. The paths are flat and fast. The wind slowed us down some, but we didn't mind. We took one path around Horseshoe Lake with the skyline of St. Louis visible ahead. We rode for over an hour, just cruising along enjoying the scenery. It helped me loosen up my legs from yesterday's very difficult Giro della Montagna.

St. Louis in the distance

Swampy area

Horseshoe Lake


     We cooked lunch on our little stove after the ride, then headed over to Benton Park for the final race of the weekend. The course was a little different today. It was like two crit courses rolled into one. The course layout was like a figure-8, without the course crossing. The start/finish was on a small uphill that led to a very exposed area that crossed over the interstate and went to the Anheuser-Busch plant. The wind was brutal when crossing the interstate. Another small hill awaited in front of the Anheuser-Busch gates, before yet another bridge back across the interstate where the wind was right in your face. The course then got super narrow and had several 90 degree turns in quick succession that would be sure to keep things single-file. The course opened back up toward the end with a slight downhill section that should have allowed for some recovery, but the stiff headwind made it feel like a climb.

Benton Park Classic course

Cat. 3 Men on course



Video: Cat. 3 Men during their race at Benton Park


Pro Women strung out on the finish stretch

Janel Holcomb went solo to take the Pro Women's win for Colavita


Video: Pro Women rocket through one of the more difficult turns


     The wind and tight turns were sure to cause splits today. We had less riders for this race. Only about 100 Pro/1/2 riders took to the start, which was 35-45 less than the previous three days. It was a very fast start. They must have been making up for the slow starts on the first two days. I started midpack and had trouble holding wheels. The group was splitting on the first lap going up the climb at Anheuser-Busch. No kidding, we probably dropped 10 riders the first lap of the 1.3-mile course. I was struggling with the constant accelerations. The turns were so slow and so close together. It was sprint after sprint after sprint. I got gapped after 15 minutes when the group split, but I managed to rail a few of the corners and catch back on.

Pro/1/2 Men single-file on a windy day in St. Louis

It was single-file across the bridge to Anheuser-Busch every lap


     More riders came off at the 20-minute mark and I got held up behind them. I had to ride by myself int he wind almost half a lap to get back to the tail of the group. For the first time all weekend, my legs were screaming! Just as I rejoined the back, it was like another bomb went off. I got by the riders that came off, but never could close the gap. I chased for a lap, but they were going too fast and that was all she wrote. I popped after 22 minutes and some change. I kept the hammer down though, hoping that maybe the officials would leave me out there since so many had already been dropped. The group caught me after a while and I rejoined at the back for a whole 2 corners before another gap opened up. I found myself in a group of 4 off the back of the main field.

All by myself...and not in a good way

Eventual race winner Brad Huff leads the field


    My little group of four caught five others and we became a nice-sized group of nine, working together to try and remain in the race for as long as possible. At 48 minutes, the officials pulled us. I wound up 52nd on the results. That wasn't all that bad considering we had 100 starters and less than 45 finished on the lead lap. I wound up doing 18.7 miles with a 23.2 mph average speed.

The break of 6 that stayed away

Me leading my group as we try not to get pulled


The break and the chase group with a few laps to go


Finish video


Race winner Brad Huff's bike cam video of the final 1 1/2 laps. This is why you never give up. He gets dropped, catches back up, then takes the sprint from the back. Got to love the shadow of the victory salute. See more info on Brad's race here.


     It feels good to report that 52nd in a brutally hard crit was the low point of my race weekend. It was such a great and successful trip. Goals were achieved and experience was gained for next season. I was for sure tired after four straight days of racing with Pros. They sure know how to beat up on your legs. The drive home wasn't too bad. Even caught a little shut-eye on the way.



     Just kidding! Thanks for reading. I leave you with a shot of the sunset over Rend Lake in Illinois. Now go out and ride your bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment